Saturday 5 December 2020

Joker (2019)

 Just watched this and not really sure what I think. It looked good, came up with some striking imagery, but I don't know what it was trying to say. It feels like a bunch of gritty real-world themes (mental illness, the economic divide, political riots) thrown at a comic book character without any sense of cohesion or thesis. It's just 'look how crazy and weird this guy is, look how angry people are, look what arseholes the rich are'. If anything, it seems very misanthropic - people are either arseholes or sheep in this movie. But again, I don't know if that's the intent of just the result.

Perhaps I'll now go read some amazing interpretation of the movie that convinces me it's genius, but until then I'm putting this down as a muddled style exercise.

Bet-hedging score: Fine.

No comments: