Saturday 25 March 2023

Zak McKracken And The Alien Mindbenders (1988)

It's a bit more accessible and interesting than Maniac Mansion, to which it's a sibling game in the same way Loom and Monkey Island or DOTT and Hit The Road feel related. Having said that, I know that it's very easy to dead-end yourself early on yet not realise it for a long time, plus I'm already stuck! So I might check a walkthrough and play a bit further, or I might just consider this "played" after five minutes and maybe just skim through a playthrough video. It's a shame it didn't catch on as much and get its own sequels - a DOTT-level series of sequels about a reporter uncovering weird cases could have been fun, even if Hit The Road did cover very similar territory. I'd definitely like to play remasters of this and MM at least, with lovely graphics, all the dead-ends taken out, and a better UI.

Decided to skim a vid after finding out two of the things stumping me were a pixel hunt and 'do the same thing three times until you get a result'!

Rating: interesting but inaccessible

No comments: