It's probably the Marvel movie that has felt most like a single comic book issue to me. Quite often they feel like movies that have had their structure compromised by series arc stuff, but here it didn't really feel like they were bothered about having a movie structure at all. Much longer than it needed to be, moving from action scenes to long slow character bits just when you expect it to be ramping up. They also spend a bunch of time dealing with weird previous plot developments (and yes also setting up future stuff).
This might all sound like outright criticism, but it was perfectly enjoyable, lots of cool action and fun moments, and actually I kind of preferred it to something like Iron Man 2 where it's mostly a movie but it keeps on falling over. That said, I didn't prefer it to the ones where they actually get a movie right like Iron Man 1 or Thor Ragnarok, and I doubt I'll ever bother watching it again. But then, I suppose a lot of people don't go back and re-read all their individual comic book issues either!
Rating: solid middle chapter
No comments:
Post a Comment