Friday 10 April 2020

The Perfection (2018)

DOUBLE SPOILER WARNING! I recommend you watch this movie going in knowing as little as possible, so just in case you got past Letterboxd's spoiler warning, here's another one. Don't read on!

Fantastic twisty pulp. I went in knowing *nothing* about it, and it worked perfectly on me. I totally thought I was about to watch a zombie movie right up until the point she brought out the meat cleaver. Then it gave me just enough time to breath before going crazy all over again. Now, granted, they did give the game away a little by having Lizzie explain Charlotte's motivation to a high level of detail - I figured this was either bad writing or a sign that she was working with Charlotte. However, I couldn't think of a way this could possibly be the case, so I put it aside and by the time the twist arrived, it got me anyway. (If I'd paused the film and considered other stuff I'd noticed - the tattoos of course, plus the fact that no one had called the police on Charlotte - I probably could have figured the whole thing out, but it moved quickly enough that I didn't. If it hadn't been for that bit of dialogue I would have been nowhere close.)
Then that ending was utterly fantastic and washed away these minor issues. The film walked a delicate tightrope with its pacing and twists, but for my money it pulled it off wonderfully.
Rating: Very Good

No comments: