Wednesday 21 October 2020

Upgrade (2018)

SPOILERS BELOW

I enjoyed this, it's a cool movie.

It's a good film to go into knowing as little as possible - I wish I hadn't even seen a specific poster for it - so this whole review should be considered a spoiler.

I think my main issue with the movie is that it didn't have enough of the cool stuff in it that I was enjoying - the fight scenes, the body enhancements, the central concept of STEM. I wanted it to go a bit crazier, a bit more The Raid or Hardcore Henry. I think that also might have made up a little more for the fact that it felt a little derivative of a lot of different stuff - Robocop, Venom, I Robot - and that the plot was pretty predictable. (I guessed the fake villain immediately, but it was so obvious that I also figured out that it was a fake-out. I then guessed the true villain a little while before the reveal. I'm not the type of person who actively tries to guess twists or spots them too easily, so when I do guess one early on, it tells me that it was too obvious!)

However, the cool stuff that was there, I really enjoyed. I liked the stuff the camera did in the fight scenes, the fight choreography was great, the world was well-realised. I'd love to see a sequel that gets Grey Trace (what a name) back in semi-control and forces him and STEM into a compromise buddy-cop type thing, then amps up all the cyberpunk stuff and fight scenes.

Rating: Good

(Watched 30/03/2019)

No comments: