Sunday 4 October 2020

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

I didn't like it. My main problems were:

1. I couldn't tell what was going on at any level. In individual shots it was often too dark. In action sequences it was dark and full of close-ups and blurry pans - a lot of Marvel movies have this issue, especially the Russo Bros ones, but this was beyond the pale. There were so many fetch-quest plot threads that I lost track of who was where and why. I guess the only thing that was clear was the over-arching story - Thanos is chasing the stones, the heroes are trying to stop him - but only because it consisted wholly of that.

2. We didn't really get to spend time with the characters - we got to watch Kevin Feige pushing chess-pieces round a board. Almost none of the characters got an arc or any moments; a lot of them were interchangeable. That wasn't Steve Rogers, that was just some dude who showed up for a few minutes to punch things. Probably the only exceptions on the heroes' side were Bruce Banner - he at least had a comedy bit - and Gamora. The villains were all sneering/grunting grey CG splodges, except for Thanos. I was expecting his sole motivation to be power for power's sake and for him to be utterly emotionless, so I was pleasantly surprised that they gave him a little depth. I also liked his design and thought his CG mostly made him feel like a physically present character.

I could pick at loads of other stuff - Peter Dinklage's character was goofy as shit, we got three separate 'Thanos is dead/defeated! Oh no he's not!' scenes, any Thanos fights consisted of the heroes getting some ineffectual hits in, then him blasting them with random glove power, over and over - but those were the big problems with the movie for me.

It made me appreciate what a good overall job Avengers 1 did despite its flaws, though one could argue that movie had an easier time of it with far fewer characters to juggle.
Rating: Bad

No comments: