Tuesday 10 May 2022

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (2006)

I'm enjoying Dark Messiah, but it's not very polished. It has a lot of crash issues (which date back to release - hopefully the patch will fix it, but it seems it's just not very well optimised) and basic fighting is a lot more annoying than it should be. I'm on a chase sequence now, and it's the most frustrating thing ever! It's almost completely based around jumping, which the engine is shit at!

-

I'm getting fewer crashes now and am enjoying it a fair amount, but I still dread getting into sword fights with the most basic enemies. It's really unforgiving. There are usually about three of them on me at once with no spikes or cliffs in sight :(

-

I've got to another level that crashes on loading every time, and the trick of turning all your settings down to get there and then turning them back up again isn't working. It's incredibly shoddy.

-

Dark Messiah is a lot better now I've got health regen. I've got all these different magic powers that I can't really be bothered to use, though, because by the time you manage to shoot one enemy with it, another two have charged you and you've run out of mana and you need to change back to your swo-oh you're dead. Plus, I'm now on a bit where I have to use ropes to climb up out of a well thing, and apart from the fact that rope climbing is even worse than platforming in this engine, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get up any further and the light source is so bright that I can't actually see stuff above me anyway. So basically, this game had lots of cool ideas that aren't really executed very well (and a couple of shit ones).

-

I've got through the annoying rope bit and the annoying spider bit (way to not bother making sure I've got antidote, devs!), managed to kill the cyclops, which was pretty cool but took too damn long as does every enemy in this game (I should check to see if there's an easy setting mod, really), and am now on the orcs/cliffsides bit! I gathered some more weapons and powers, they are shit.

-

Tempted to give up tbh, I don't get the impression the game's going to get any better. I've just slogged through a massive zombie section, which took me ages because they're really hard to kill and shoot poison clouds at you. Now I've got my demon powers, which are a bit crap, and there's another cyclops to kill. According to a walk-through I've just started chapter 7 out of 9+epilogue so I might push through on this one. This could have been an ace game, but the difficulty curve is for shit, and there are far too many weapons and powers that aren't tuned very well or you don't get the chance to use because you're constantly fighting off six enemies at a time and you don't have the time to fuck around.

-

Okay, uninstalling. Fuck it. What's weird is that I keep seeing contemporary reviews and forum posts saying you should play on high difficulty, but then from their descriptions it sounds like the medium setting I'm on (there is no easy setting).

Rating: Orange.

No comments: