Tuesday 10 May 2022

Doom 3 (2004)

It plays fine on my new PC (although it doesn't seem to retain settings properly), but I'm trying to get it running to modern standards - basically, higher resolution with everything set to max. I've tried fucking about with creating a autoexec.cfg, but what seems to work easily for other people on various forums isn't working for me.

EDIT: okay, I can effect changes by editing the config.cfg file. Apparently that tends to reset after each play but it seems alright at the moment. It would still be nice to have a simple mod that gives me a nice options menu for all this instead of having to l33t h@ck everything, though...

Well, I've tweaked pretty much every setting in the config file (plus added a few in), and it looks pretty damn gorgeous. It actually stands up well to Rage's indoor corridor sections. 

All I need is a setting that just unlocks all the weapons cabinets, because I'm sure as hell not going to read all these emails and listen to all these audio logs. Instead I'll just keep it on easy and blast my way through it.

-

I left this alone for a while because I got to a really tough section; I just came back to it and sauntered through that section. I am getting a bit bored now, though. The locations are all very samey and they don't introduce new enemy types regularly enough. This game really could have been half as long.

It seems that after Hell (which I haven't got to yet) there's a load more research station levels, so I may end up skipping those.

-

I got through Hell, which was really ace except for the pain in the arse boss (I'm starting to wonder if id are taking the piss after this and Rage having a big glowing hit point), then I thought I may as well give the soul cube a fair go, and I'm nearly done now so I think I'll probably finish it. I'd like to see the cyberdemon. I also want to get to use the BFG at least once, which has been impossible up til now because it's a weapon that's too dangerous in closed quarters, in a corridor shooter! Then I've got to decide whether to play the expansion pack, which iirc has a gravity gun!

-

I finished the main game. The soul cube plus the BFG changed things up just enough that I kept going, plus the excavated ruins were pretty cool. The EOGB was just another big thing to shoot, although perhaps only the soul cube did damage to it, I'm not sure.

Basically, this game needs to be at least halved in length and it would be amazing. It's also very similar to Rage - the data logs and NPCs which precede Rage's RPG-lite stuff, the walky robot turret friends, the Half-Lifey walking round the base at the start, the Imps clambering along walls and jumping at you. As I said in the Rage thread, if these games got a mod that lineared them out and cut all the bullshit and padding, they'd be fantastic.

-

Resurrection Of Evil expansion: the gravity gun and bullet-time make this much more fun (although once again it's starting to get repetitive, of course). Whoever makes that fan mod I'm daydreaming about should definitely stick some of this in there too.

Rating: Green.

No comments: