Friday 13 May 2022

Spaced (1999)

S1E1 "BEGINNINGS"
I don't think there were any other sitcoms doing this back then - the cinematic single-camera thing - and it works so well for the comedy. It's so finely-tuned, just like the performers' physical, facial and vocal deliveries. There must be a spearate funny thing every five seconds in this episode, even if it's just an eyebrow-raise.
The Scooby Doo joke was what sold me on the show when the episode first aired - I remember being not only amused but also really impressed at how much subtle effort they'd gone to to set up a visual gag.
The only bits I don't like are the Shining twins (a bit tired and doesn't really fit, thankfully they removed planned repeat appearances when they realised League Of Gentlemen was doing a similar bit) and Daisy talking to her mannequin (feels like what someone who thinks they're really funny and wacky but are in fact just annoying would do, like the 'office clown' or whatever). So that's about 30 seconds bums out of 24 minutes gold, which is pretty impressive.

S1E2 "GATHERINGS"
Top episode, lots of energy! Only one line I don't like, which is Tim saying "forget all that, is she fit?" which is too 90s laddish for him. I particularly like Daisy's "let's get rid of this old thing" delivery as she gets rid of the typewriter.

S1E3 "ART"
I love this episode! They tie the three character stories together well and they're all funny. So many lines and deliveries in this one that I still quote.
Also, the zombie stuff is all really well done - the direction, lighting, editing, all really accomplished for a low budget 90s sitcom.

S1E4 "BATTLES"
Perhaps not quite as good as the previous eps - the comedy doesn't feel as sharp in places - but it's still very fun. The paintball stuff especially is really good - cool to see Serafinowicz and Putner, and all the Tim/Mike/Duane stuff works really well.

S1E5 "CHAOS"
Good. Pretty chill first half compared to most of them ,but I like it. Then the second half is fun. I think, much like with Red Dwarf, when it's all comedy it still feels really fresh to me personally, but when it's big action-y sequences (for a sitcom anyway) like planet pool in RD or the heist in this, it's just... there for me now even if I really enjoyed it the first ten times.

S1E6 "EPIPHANIES"
Fantastic. It's great how it takes a regular thing - going to a club - and builds the whole episode up towards it slowly. No genre riffs or anything, just character-based goodness. I never did E or anything, but apparently this episode very successfully captures that whole culture and experience.

S1E7 "ENDS"
Great episode! Nicely laid out character drama and loads of top gags.

S2E1 "BACK"
I really like it up til the agents show up, it's all nice chill funny recap/reunion stuff. But then they stick a character from The Matrix in there wholesale like it's Epic Movie or something, and Daisy has super kung-fu skills, and it's all just a bit unimaginative and out of place tonally.

S2E2 "CHANGE"
A very fun episode. It doesn't have a big central hook, but it has the loose theme of 'work' which is a strong enough throughline. Love all the Phantom Menace stuff. It's great that I've seen this show at least a dozen times and I still laugh out loud at it.

S2E3 "METTLE"
I love the Tim/Mike stuff and the Brian stuff in this ep, but not the Daisy stuff because it's so directly pastiching one thing.
I don't think there's enough Fight Club in the robot storyline for it to feel dated- it's only the one line really (which admittedly is terrible - it's so obvious and the guy saying it is clearly not an actor).
I love the line about how "Phillipa had a baby", it's such a childish way to express it which perfectly reflects what I imagine was most Robot Wars viewers' mental maturity.
The only thing I dislike about the Robot Wars story is Reese Sheersmith's sidekick - he's just a 'big lunk' character who may as well not be there, and he's too cartoonish for this show.

S2E4 "HELP"
This is a great ep, it's got strong dramatic structure and comedy. I love the pre-title scene cutting between Knox and Tim playing his game, the editing and lighting and everything all come together so well.

S2E5 "GONE"
Excellent episode! This one isn't a million gags a minute like some of the others but it has a bunch of great comedy set-ups and setpieces.

S2E6 "DISSOLUTION"/S2E7 "LEAVES"
Great ending overall, lots of nice callbacks and very sweet while still being funny. Much better than The Good Place managed!

No comments: