Monday 16 May 2022

The Last Express (1997)

This is a critical darling which I like the idea of, but I suspect I'll get frustrated with it quite quickly as I gather it's all in real time and requires replays.

-

Had to fiddle with the DOSBox config to get it fullscreen, but it still looks quite nice. Shame the transitions between animation frames are so low-res, it would almost look like a modern game otherwise.
I've started a playthrough and am already pretty confused - I immediately had no bearings of where I was on the train, I don't have any particular goal (except 'solve a murder', and I guess I know that a suspect is on the train or something?), I don't seem to be able to do much and I already got a game over because I annoyed someone by clicking on them so they got me thrown off the train, I think?
I'm going to see if I can find a manual, hopefully that will help me get started...

-

Ah, I'm supposed to be finding my friend. I should have figured that out, I guess!

-

Hmm, okay, so I talked to the guard, found my friend dead in his compartment, hoyed him out the window, swapped my bloody jacket for his and then talked to that guy whom I annoyed in my last playthrough but this time pretended to be my friend and got some details about a dodgy deal. So that was all pretty cool, but now I'm back to wandering up and down the train again. I guess I'm supposed to just wait until interesting stuff happens, and then click on people to talk to them when it lets me? It's all a bit vague. Also, the control system is a little fiddly...

-

Okay, yeah, I took a quick look at a walkthrough and I don't really have the patience to endlessly replay the game wandering up and down a corridor in order to try and catch stuff that happens incredibly briefly whether I'm there or not, in the hopes that it might help me do something somehow. It's a lovely looking game and a neat idea, but far too abstruse for my tastes!

Rating: Orange

No comments: