Sunday 15 May 2022

Murder On The Orient Express (2017)

I haven't seen (or read) any versions of this before, but I did know the solution. It all felt very rushed to me - we barely get to know the characters or see them interact with each other, there's a murder and then a flurry of information, and Poirot seems to pull most of his deductions out of thin air. The revelation leans heavily on emotional drama, which doesn't really work as we haven't spent any real time with these characters and some of them are only revealing their truths for the first time in the same moment that we are being asked to care about any of it.

I have no idea how this weighs up against the original story or other adaptations, but taking it as a film on its own merits, I felt like it either needed fewer characters or more time.

Rating: Meh.

No comments: