Tuesday 10 May 2022

Superhot (2015)

Just a little way in so far. Took me a bit longer to get the hang of it than the original gamejam version, but I'm really enjoying it now. It's basically an exercise of patience, always fighting the urge to just run! The visual style is really cool, though I am already thinking this would be really cool with lots of visual detail, watching people's (or monsters or whatever) expressions change in super slow-mo. I like the old-school hacker narrative bits too, very intriguing, and fun to snoop around in and find other little games. I'm guessing the twist is that this is all actually real and I just think I'm playing a game? That's a twist I've seen at least twice before though, so hopefully they come up with something different...

-

Oh, wow, finished it already. That was short but sweet. I wouldn't have minded a couple more levels where it ramped things up somehow, but probably a good idea not to outstay its welcome. I really enjoyed the addition of 'hotswitching' - it was great fun to throw your weapon at someone, body-jump into them, grab that weapon out of midair then swing round and blast the enemy standing next to you. I really enjoyed all the story-telling as well, and they didn't pull that twist, thankfully.

No real negatives at all! A couple of levels were a bit tough - like the elevator one - and it would have been nice to get replays without the text over them and the player movement smoothed out somehow, but that's about it. Apparently the VR version of this is great, I'd love to try that.

(Addendum: I have since tried the VR version and it is indeed great.)

Rating: Green.

No comments: