Tuesday 10 May 2022

Serious Sam 3 (2011)

Serious Sam 3 starts off rather slowly, feeling more like a sci-fi CoD game at first as you get a cutscene involving your helicopter full of dickhead marines (thankfully Sam has not gone full Nukem, although he quips more regularly and sounds more like a Muppet than I remember) getting shot down, then you make your way through the alleyways of war-torn Egypt as alien spaceships fly overhead and zap high-rise buildings to rubble in the distance. I guess this is designed to slowly acclimatise modern gamers to the Serious Sam style of FPS, slowly drawing them out of the corridors into bigger arenas and waves of enemies. It was great to turn a corner and see three dozen purple-topped dudes running at me. The graphics are nice enough, all of the enemies have been updated very faithfully.

Now I'm into full-on SS gameplay, it feels pretty faithful too, although there seem to be a couple of new irritating enemy types, either acid-spitting ceiling bugs or long-range sniper type guys who are super-hard to hit. I think I'm finding it a bit harder too, though I may just be rusty. I've just hit a really tough part with a huge wave of bombheads, and after a fair few tries I decided I might put this on the co-op pile.

Rating: Orange.

No comments: